Friday, April 22, 2016

From congenital heart defect to cardiogenic shock, open heart surgery and a defibrillator at age 68 to endurance Athlete at age 76. 
Always remember to pursue the dream and live the journey


[The Story of my Heart-segment 18]  

I make my project presentation and explain the reason for the idea, which is to bring about awareness of congenital heart defects, especially for children and teenagers. I also stress my goal of sharing my experiences with other heart patients. I ask for a sponsorship amount of $15,000. This is a positive meeting. They’re even more excited after I finish my presentation, for which Dr. Coletti laid the groundwork, along with Beth. As a team, I believe we can make this a success. The meeting lasted about 45 minutes and I leave Beth with a hardcover copy of my first book. As fate will often interfere, a year later Beth will succumb to cancer. After the meeting I drive to Train-or-Try, Bellingham’s triathlon headquarters. Come to find out, the owner Maureen Trainor is a heart patient, apparently much worse than I am, and still doing triathlons. I tell her what I’m looking for and why. She’s only 42 years old and her problems go far beyond just the heart. It so happens that both Dr. Coletti and Dr. MacGregor are her physicians. Obviously my visit to the store takes much longer than anticipated. She explains the most up to date products being used in wet suits. The difference between a diving wet suit and a swim wet suit is significant. I learn that for a swimming suit the interior is similar to a diving wet suit made of neoprene, but the outside is made of smooth skin. The technological difference is evident. They are designed to increase swimming efficiency, flotation, and speed. I try on several suits, after which I’m almost exhausted. The cost ranges from $250 up to nearly $1,000. We concentrate on several from $250 to $380. She explains the technology of design between the two price ranges. The suits come from New Zealand and Australia. We are astounded by the difference in size I need, in comparison to the chart for my weight and height. Because of my body construction after surgery, I end up needing two sizes larger than she expected. In the first week of August I again drive to North Cascade Cardiology for Maria to check the defibrillator. The ratings come out perfect except for a couple of short periods of atrial fibrillation back in February, lasting no longer than about five minutes each; nothing to be concerned about. After that I meet with Jerry Marschke, Cardiovascular Administrator of North Cascade Cardiology. I tell him about my decision to postpone the Gibraltar swim until next year. He once more confirms their commitment. He will also contact Tracy Peacock, the project director at the American Heart Association in Seattle. I continue swimming and make several visits to North Cascade Cardiology for routine checkups. Always looking for incentives to do my exercises, the berry season comes in handy. I now have another reason to take out my bicycle and ride through the berry fields, where I can stop and gorge myself on fresh berries—energy food. First it’s the raspberries, followed by blueberries, which makes for a delicious ride indeed. In September, we attend Dr. Coletti’s heart seminar at St. Luke’s Community Health Education Center. It’s amazing to learn about all of the new devices that are appearing. I confirm his agreement to be consulting adviser to the Heart Challenge Swim Association, once I set it up.
In March, I have an echocardiogram and blood tests done. A couple of days later Dr. Coletti’s nurse, Heidi, calls to let me know they both came out perfect and Dr. Coletti is delighted. In May, I register the Heart Challenge Swim Association as a nonprofit organization with the state and receive the largest sponsor contribution from North Cascade Cardiology. This is exciting because it’s a great step forward. North Cascade Cardiology is now merging with PeaceHealth. I send notice to Spain to register myself for the swim and on Wednesday, June 8, I receive an answer from ACNEG, the swim association in Spain, informing me they are completely booked for the year and suggest registering after December 1 for the 2012 season.

For the complete story go to https://www.amazon.com/author/johannesfl , and click on Gibraltar

If you like this story and have a moment to spare, I would really appreciate a short review. Your help in spreading the word is gratefully received.
© Johannes Lisiecki

We would love to hear, your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment